Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

One Battle At A Time

So I've mentioned I don't LOVE our arrangement with the charter school for our homeschool curriculum. It does make my job easier however I dislike the lack of flexibility. Not to mention my serious dislike for anything Common Core, specifically the standardized tests.



I got a phone call from the school last week saying it was time to bring the kids in for the Standardized testing. I called them back and left a message saying we were opting out. I received a phone call back today:

School: " We've checked and you may opt out for your kindergartner but you may NOT opt out for your 6th grader."

Me: "And which test is this again?"

School: "The Smarter Balanced testing"

Me: "No, I've looked into it, and we are allowed to opt out."

School: "No, I just spoke with the testing coordinator and it is Mandatory. Everyone who homeschools, REGARDLESS, must submit state testing one a year"

Me: "Ummm, no. The law requires a test being submitted to the state in 3rd, 5th, 8th and ... 10th grade for all homeschoolers. Not every year. So we will be opting out."

School: "No, the testing is mandatory."

Me: "I am going to look into this because I know I have seen the opt out forms online. I can go and download one....."



.....dial tone.......

Yep. She hung up on me. It's too bad really.... I liked her.

I looked into the opt-out options again and found a sample letter online that meets the requirements for opting out, printed it out and promptly went to the post office to send it by certified mail. :)

Why go to all of this hassle? Because I believe we HAVE to start taking a stand for the things we believe in. I am also thankful I have been doing MY homework all along and knew the laws so I could not be buffaloed into believing the lie I was told. It's a little unnerving standing up to a school when they tell you that you must conform.

Have you ever seen the movie a Bugs Life? We out number the grasshoppers people! We have to start locking arms and saying enough is enough. Thank goodness I am not the only Flik out there that is willing to take a little abuse and have everyone think you are crazy for a bit. There are so many people who have stood up before me and are there to guide me and show me the way.


The whole reason we homeschool is because we believe there is a better way. A better way for the kids to learn in a safer, more loving, more flexible environment. The public school system was modeled after the Russian public school system which was designed to produce a massive work force... workers. Not thinkers. I want my kids to be thinkers. I want to teach my kids to learn how to think, not what to think. To be creative and explore the world. Not just take what's been put in front of them.

This is why I push back, because I am creating a future generation of thinkers and explorers. Not just creating worker bees, and I'll do it one battle at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment